Thursday, October 23, 2008

YouTube

I played around a little with YouTube. It is a very interesting concept to be able to upload videos. The best use in terms of library and information are the videos that show D-I-Y items, such as tiling floors or the ones describing how the electoral college works. Adding a search function to library websites for customers looking for these type of videos is a good idea-sort of a one stop shopping idea when looking for resources. I do wish YouTube was more concerned with the content it receives; I think that the usefulness, even for recreational purposes (checking out those music videos), is reduced because of the other "stuff" that can be uploaded. As part of initiation, gangs will upload their violent acts and recently an organization has been going to doors with McCain signs, knocking on the doors and then video taping the person and telling people to remember this face.... I don't believe our society's freedoms would be hurt if we monitored content a little better than this; I actually believe we might be better off.

I am trying to attach a video explaining how voting works because of the timeliness and it is also very well done.

No comments: